How to Rank for “Near Me” Search Terms – Local SEO Practices 2022
There’s no doubt that local search is one of the most important SEO strategies for businesses today. Whether you’re a small business aiming for more exposure and leads or an established business looking to stay ahead in the local market, focusing on local search can help you get found online by local customers.
BrightLocal’s 2020 Customer Review Survey found that in 2020, 93% of consumers used online searches to find a local business.
Since most people use their mobile devices to find information about products and services in their local area. So if you’re not ranking well for “near me” searches, you’re not getting found when people are looking for your or similar products & services. That might have a major impact on your business, so it’s important to make sure your business is optimized for local searches.
How ‘near me’ searches are going to change the search industry?
The rise in popularity of voice assistants like Siri, Alexa and Google Home has created a new channel through which consumers can ask for their location and connect to a business nearby. According to Forbes, 58% of consumers use voice search to find a local business online. This shows that consumers are adopting voice assistants to interact with businesses directly – which presents a huge opportunity for businesses to reach and engage with their local customers online.
How to Optimize Local Business For “Near Me” Searches?
Optimizing your business for local search can be quite a challenge because there are so many different factors that affect your rankings, including your location, type of business, niche, and overall web presence. But there are some basic practices you can follow which will help you get found when people search for “near me” searches. Here are a few things you should do to get higher rankings in local search results:
Optimize Google My Business Listing – A properly optimized Google My Business listing is one of the best ways to get more traffic from local searches. Here are a few tips to optimize your Google My Business listing:
- Exact Business Info: Enter your complete business name and address.
- Add All Information: Make sure the name, address, phone number, website and other relevant information are accurate, up-to-date and consistent across the web.
- Add Photos: Add photos to give potential customers a better picture of your business. Include shots of the interior of your business and the products or services you offer.
- Add Description: Write a detailed description of your business and share the information that will help your customers choose you over your competitors.
- Add Operational Info: Describe what makes your business unique or different from your competitors and include useful information such as working hours, parking availability, or a special offer you have running right now.
- Get Reviews: You can improve your Google my business listing’s rating by getting reviews from your customers.
- Correct Category: Optimize your listing by selecting the most relevant category for your business. This will help people find you when they’re searching online.
- Update Regularly: You should update your Google My Business listing on a regular basis to keep it accurate and help new customers find you easily.
- Highlight Amenities: To attract more visitors to your website, you can highlight any on-site amenities or special services that are exclusive to your business. For example, if you own a beauty salon and own a parking lot where customers can park for free while they visit your salon, be sure to add that information to your listing so people who search for businesses in your area can learn about that facility.
- Add Post: Through a GMB post, you can include useful information and build a connection with your local audience. In the GMB post, there are options to add images and CTAs to link to your website or any page. Google postings can be of various types: New Products, Events, and Welcome Offers, among other things.
Create Location pages:
Create location-specific pages on your website for each of your target locations. These pages should consist of an intro paragraph that mentions the specific location as well as lists of services or products offered at that location. Then use descriptive page titles that mention your location when posting these pages on your website. You can use SEO basics to optimize location pages for near-me searches. Here is a list of some SEO techniques to optimize Location pages for ‘near me’ searches.
- Keyword Optimization: Focus on Keyword optimization for the location itself like “Culver City Realtor” or “Realtor near the Disney Studios”. Also, include the name of the business in the title tag.
- Page Content: The content on the pages should be specific to the location. For example, a page titled “LA Realtors” shouldn’t just feature a bunch of generic info about LA real estate but should be specific to the types of properties located in Los Angeles.
- Site Navigation: Provide clear navigation links on the site so that users can easily find the pages for each location. Additionally, it helps pages get easily indexed by Google.
- Local Citation: Ensure your business information is accurate and consistent across the web. Many search engines use local business directories to find information about local businesses. For this reason, it is important to make sure that your business is listed correctly on sites like Yelp, Google My Business, Bing Places, Manta, Foursquare, Merchant Circle etc.
- Optimized URL: Make sure each location has a custom URL with the relevant keyword in it.
- Image Alt Tags: Each image should have alt tags describing what it is, where it’s located, and why it should be visited.
- Add Reviews: Add happy customer reviews on the location page. To make it authentic and relevant to readers, highlight the name and location of the customers.
- Social Media Accounts: Add the location name to your social media profile URL. Links to all of the major social media accounts must be placed on your website.
- Internal linking: Use an organised internal linking structure and optimized anchors on your website to increase ranking for all of your targets local keywords.
- Hosting Locally: If you need to register a domain name for your website then it is better to host the website locally.
Use Schema Markup:
Schema markup helps search engines understand the content on your website and display it in a more meaningful way in the search results. Use schema markup such as your address, reviews, business hours, phone number etc. on all location pages of your website. This helps search engines understand your business and helps you rank better in search results.
The most general type of business is an Organization. The Organization has the following types:
- Educational Organization (more specific types include College, University, Elementary School, High school, Middle School, Preschool, and School)
- MedicalOrganization (more specific types include Dentist, Hospital, Pharmacy, and Physician)
- PerformingGroup (more specific types include Dance Group, Music Group, and Theatre Group)
- Project (more specific types include funding Agency, Research projects)
- SportsOrganization (more specific types include Sports Team)
Local Business has the following schema types:
- Animal Shelter
- AutomotiveBusiness (more specific types include AutoBodyShop, AutoDealer, AutoPartsStory, AutoRental, AutoRepair, AutoWash, GasStation, MotorcycleDealer, MotorcycleRepair)
- EmergencyService (more specific types include FireStation, Hospital, PoliceStation)
- EntertainmentBusiness (more specific types include AdultEntertainment, AmusementPark, ArtGallery, Casino, ComedyClud, MovieTheater, NightClub)
- FinancialService (more specific types include AccountingService, AutomatedTeller, BankOrCreditUnion, InsuranceAgency)
- FoodEstablishment (more specific types include Bakery, BarOrPub, Brewery, CafeOrCoffeeShop, Distillery, FastFoodRestaurant, IceCreamShop, Restaurant, Winery)
- GovernmentOffice (more specific types include PostOffice)
- HealthAndBeautyBusiness (more specific types include BeautySalon, DaySpa, HairSalon, HealthClub, NailSalon, TattooParlor)
- HomeAndConstructionBusiness (more specific types include Electrician, GeneralContractor, HVACBusiness, HousePainter, Locksmith, MovingCompany, Plumber, RoofingContractor)
- LegalService (more specific types include Attorney, Notary)
- LodgingBusiness (more specific types include BedAndBreakfast, Campground, Hostel, Hotel, Motel, Resort)
- MedicalBusiness (more specific types include CommunityHealth, Dentist, Dermatology, DietNutrition, Emergency, Geriatric, Gynecologic, MedicalClinic (COVIDTestingFacility), Midwifery, Nursing, Obstetric, Oncologic, Optician, Optometric, Otolaryngologic, Pediatric, Pharmacy, Physician, Physiotherapy, PlasticSurgery, Podiatric, PrimaryCare, Psychiatric, PublicHealth)
- SportsActivityLocation (more specific types include BowlingAlley, ExerciseGym, GolfCourse, HealthClub, PublicSwimmingPool, SkiResoirt, SportsClude, StatiumOrArena, TennisComplex
- Store (more specific types include AutoPartsStore, BikeStore, BookStore, ClothingStore, ComputerStore, ConvenienceStore, DepartmentStore, ElectronicStore, Florist, FurnitureStore, GardenStore, GroceryStore, HardwareStore, HobbyShop, HomeGoodsStore, JewleryStore, LiquorStore, MensClothingStore, MobilePhoneStore, MovieRentalStore, MusicStore, OfficeEquipmentStore, OutletStore, PawnShop, PetStore, ShoeStore, SportingGoodsStore, TireShop, ToyStore, WhoesaleStore)
List business on Local Citation sites:
Getting listed on local citation sites helps businesses get more exposure online and increases their chances of reaching the right customers. Local citation sites include Yelp, Yellowpages, Foursquare, Superpages, Citysearch, Manta, Merchant Circle, Yahoo! Local, and others. Additionally, it’s important to check that the submitted information about your business is correct and consistent throughout all citation sites.
Here is a list of top citation sites
Click here to Scan your local listings score and listing accuracy.
List business on Voice Assistant Platforms
List your business on voice search platforms like Siri, Alexa and Google Home: Voice search is becoming increasingly popular as people carry out more voice searches than text searches on mobile devices. It is therefore important to make sure that your business can be found when customers use voice search.
Get Listed Your business on all major voice assistants Platforms:
- Google Home
- Amazon Echo/Alexa
- Google Assistant
- Microsoft Cortana
Explore our ‘near me’ brand search services and book your free consultation session.
List Business in Maps:
List your business on all major maps like Google My Business, Bing Places, Apple Maps, Waze and others. This will help you improve your visibility across the web and help drive more customers to your business. Additionally, it allows local clients to find your location easily.
Get listed your business on all major map platforms:
- Google Maps
- Apple Maps
- Bing Maps
- Apple CarPlay
To list your business on all popular map platforms, contact our expert team.
Publish content in blog: Write engaging and unique content for your blog that will help increase traffic to your site and improve rankings in local search results. Publish your content in local blogs or news sites that target your local audience and include location-specific keywords in the article. You can also create local infographics to publish on your blog posts. Use social media to share content and engage with your local target audience.
Ensure Your Website is mobile friendly
Users of mobile devices dominate the voice search market, particularly when they are out and engaging in shopping, driving, walking, or other outside activities. When a user of a voice-activated device asks a query, they frequently include the words “near me” and the name of the good or service they need.
Many times, people find out everything through your GMB profile, but if they need to look for more information, your website should be mobile-friendly. Make sure your site’s mobile version is voice-optimized, and it includes clear contact and location information so consumers can call or find directions to your company if necessary.
Additionally, make sure your website has the proper Schema markup so you may appear in search results generated by voice queries.Use Google page speed insight tool to check your mobile page speed score.
Create Content Answering Your Audience’s Frequently Asked Questions
People often search for answers on Google and other search engines. One of the ways that Google and other search engines determine if a website provides the information someone is looking for is by examining the content on that website. If your website has helpful information on topics that your target audience is likely to search for, there is a good chance that your website will show up in voice searches. The best way to target those queries on your business website is either through blog posts or FAQs. Research the right topics and cover them through blog posts and relevant FAQs.
Create Conversational Content
Voice search queries tend to include long-tail phrases that are typically three or more words in length. People use voice search to find a specific answer to their question, not to browse around on a website and read the content.
As a result, it is more likely that they will use a conversational style in their search query rather than a formal writing style. Therefore, address your reader directly while writing in a conversational tone, highlight all relevant information, and use a clear and entertaining writing style.
Strategically place backlinks to your website that link to your most important pages with your location keywords in the anchor text. This will help improve the visibility of your site for local searches. For example, if one of your primary services is carpet cleaning, links from relevant sites that point to your site with the anchor text “carpet cleaning near Tacoma” will improve the site’s rankings in local searches for carpet cleaning near Tacoma.
How much does local SEO cost in 2022?
Typically local seo services cost between $200-$1000. The actual Local SEO cost depends on the number of business locations and the amount of local search marketing work you need to be done each month.
$200-$350 (One time). A one-time local SEO package is suitable for local businesses who have a single location and need help in publishing local listings on all major local citation sites and optimising Google maps and bing maps.
$1000- $2000 (per month). The monthly Local SEO package is suitable for local businesses who have single or multiple locations and want to implement all Local marketing channels to stay ahead of their competitors.
For monthly package, here is a list of Local SEO pricing factors:
- How many locations do you have?
- Your Competition and Industry
- Local Listing Publishing
- Monthly Local Listing Management
- Location Data Cleansing & Reporting
- Location Pages Building & Optimization
- Content Planning & Publishing for Blog, FAQs and Location Pages
- Google My Business Page Management
- Voice Search and Maps Listing
- Google Maps keywords Optimization & Tracking
- Facebook Local Optimization
- Reviews Management (reviews tracking & getting reviews on major local sites)
- On-Page SEO (Website SEO Optimization)
- Off Page SEO (Getting backlinks through local relevant sites)
- Custom Reporting (Detailed reports on local SEO traffic and growth)
The list above includes all major local SEO pricing factors. For example, the number of location pages, the number of GMB page target keywords, the amount of content articles, the planning and launch of the review template, etc. The cost will be higher as the volume of work rises.
The cost can also be decreased if there are fewer deliverables. Therefore, it’s recommended to book a free consultation session with experts and go through the details of your project with them in order to determine how much a local SEO project would cost.
The Bottom Line on Optimizing For ‘Near Me’ Searches
Leveraging ‘near me’ searches to grow your business is now more important than ever before. That’s because more consumers are now using their mobile phones to search for information online. As time goes on, more businesses will be discovering the importance of ‘near me’ searches and implementing it into their local business growth strategy.
In this article, we’ve highlighted the most important local SEO strategies and provided local SEO pricing information. We believe you now have a better understanding of “near me” searches and how to use local SEO techniques to grow your business. Get in touch with our experts and get a free actionable marketing plan for your local business.